Faster and Faster…the machine ensemble and accelerationsim

I’ve posted many times about the connection between speed and desire in its various forms…just google New Pamphleteer, speed, and see what comes up…

The Guardian have just published a piece about the intellectual history of Accelerationsim. You can read it, here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/11/accelerationism-how-a-fringe-philosophy-predicted-the-future-we-live-in

Here’s a link to my description of the machine-ensemble in relation to the railway system…

British Rail Design Standardisation

The counter-cultural origins of Accelerationism suggest that this philosophical position is a practical recasting of the to-hell-in-a-handcart view pf progress…it’s like accelerating into brickwall….and weirdly, bith left and right are determined to ride this creative destruction to the bitter end…

I’m a more interested in how to make this safe…I don’t want to stop it, but I want to enjoy the ride…like a big-dipper fairground ride.

Also, I am considering how this isn’t just about technology; it’s about a specific image-culture of speeding up…

PS

I forgot that there is a short-story by local author, HG Wells, called The New Accelerator (1901). The main part of the story plays out against the backdrop of  The Leas, Folkestone’s coastal and cliff-top seafront park…

You can download a PDF of the story

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.